Saturday, September 06, 2008

4 Miles a Day

So I've done it. I just finished my first week of riding my [borrowed] bike to work and back. My school is 2 miles away; round trip is 4 miles.

The great thing about riding the bike is that I can say "I rode 4 miles today" but I don't have to take time out of my day to "work out" -- It's simply a means of transportation.

And how did it go? My legs hurt a lot. I never really felt sore per se, but my knees seemed to weaken over the course of the week. I couldn't wait for Saturday (today) so that I could take a break.

I haven't lost any weight but that's okay--I'm not really doing this to lose weight; I'm doing it to get in shape for my 26-mile Yosemite hike in June (though losing weight would be a nice side effect).

Riding to school is tough because is a gradual uphill almost the whole way. It's not terribly steep; as a matter of fact I never realized it was uphill until I started riding my bike. The ride home is much easier for the same reason.

Hopefully I can keep this up. I want my Yosemite trip to be perfect and it won't be if I'm tired and exhausted the whole time.

1 comment:

Fletch said...

Way to go. The next time I'm in town for an inspection, we'll have to do the Gold Strike hike or something in Red Rock for practice.