Saturday, August 16, 2008

Pocari Sweat and Back to the Future

When I went to Japan this past June, I fell in love with a drink they have there: Pocari Sweat (see proof above). The title isn't that appetizing but the drink itself was to die for. I loved it and drank a few a day--it could be found in any corner vending machine.

The flavor is something like a flavor of Gatorade. It has sugar in it but it's light and extreamly refreshing. It was so humid in Japan (at least in comparison to dry Las Vegas) and water just didn't seem to replenish my system, but Pocari Sweat did.

I was doing some research today to see if there was anywhere in Las Vegas that I could buy Pocari Sweat. In the meantime I stumbled accross a wikipedia entry that mentioned that: "A sixpack of Pocari Sweat can be seen in the family kitchen in the movie Back to the Future Part II (set in the year 2015), humorously implying the drink has become a mainstream product in the United States."

WHAT??? You've got to be kidding me! That's AWESOME! I LOVED that movie as a kid... and... as an adult. So I popped in the DVD, and sure enough, there it was. I took a screen shot for you to see (it's the little blue box on the right side of the frame). AWESOME! (click photo to see bigger)If you ever get to go to Japan, get some. It's great! Otherwise, Wikipedia also mentions: "The 'Arctic Shatter' variety of Powerade-brand sports drink very closely resembles it, in both color and flavor." So I guess I'm going to have to try it out to see for myself.

P.s. For those interested in my movie/ficiton review blog, I've recently posted my reviews of: Next, The Andromeda Strain, TMNT, Accross the Universe, Fool's Gold, and others. Click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I know where to get it. LOL, across the street. But then again, I am in Asia LOL Its awesome, and from what i was told its better for you than Gatorade

Anonymous said...

You can also see a can of Pocari Sweat when Marty McFly Sr. swipes his card after Needles convinces him too.

Jack said...

I also live in Vegas. Recently went to Hong Kong(hot and humid), and also found Pocari Sweat to be pretty good for rehydrating.

I found it at Ranch 99 on spring mountain. Only comes in 2 litre bottles and cost 6.50 each. Pretty expensive compared to the 2.50 they were charging for the other imported drinks. Would love to find it in smaller bottles or cans.

Crawlin said...

I just noticed this in Back to the Future 2 yesterday, although, it was when Marty had been fired, there is a can of Pocari on the table to the left.