Sunday, August 10, 2008

I. Can't. Move.

The title of this blog should be spoken through gritted teeth and no moving lips.

I can't remember the last time I was this sore. I'm not saying I've never been this sore before, but I certainly can't ever remember being this sore. If you read the previous blog you'll see that I went water skiing yesterday. I was only in the water for about 15 minutes but that was all it took.

I hurt. Bad.

My back, my legs, my shoulders, my arms. Let me illustrate. While getting dressed this morning I was barely able to lift my pants on. First you have to bend down to grab the pants. Ouch. Then you have to pull up using minimal arm strength. Ouch.

On another (and slightly related) note, Megan and I have decided that for my 30th birthday next year, I'm going to go climb Half Dome in Yosemite National Park--my favorite place on Earth (yes, I took that photo). This is no easy climb. It is difficult and strenuous. And to top it off, I'm also going to climb Sentinel Dome, Taft Point, and Upper Yosemite Falls. In total, over the course of almost a week, I will be hiking about 27 miles.

So I figure if I'm sore to the point of not being able to move after 15 minutes of water skiing, I have a lot of work to do in order to get in shape for Yosemite. Luckily I'm not going until June. I've got about 10 months to make it happen.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

chipandsalsa said...

Jay, if anyone on this planet knows EXACTLY what you are facing, I do!!! I will wait for you to ask me for any guidence, assistance or help in this matter. I went from a very fat, unhealthy 230 pounds, to a very lean, strong 180 pounds in 8 months. I completed my first marathon in a little over 4 months after I started actually working out. I planned for run the marathon 3 days before I did! I am waiting to see if you would like help. Brothers for life, Rich

Cook Family said...

You can do it! I know exactly the soreness you are describing.

BTW- thank you for your music on your side bar. I like that I can press play to hear it. Some of my friends have music as well, but there's all blast at you as soon as you get to their site and if my speakers are on, I practically get scared out of my pants forgetting to expect the music.

Anonymous said...

You are super sore becuse those are all muscles you never use. I'd bet you are much better hiking shape than you think. Anyhow, have fun at the gym!

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you are gonna head up to the top of half dome. I did it three years ago and would love to do it again. I think you might be a little sore afterwards, I couldn't walk for about three days!

~Sammer