Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Predictions of the Future - Part 2

My favorite element of the science-fiction world is time travel, so I am intrigued by things of the future. Here are a few more things that we'll either have soon, or SHOULD have soon.

  1. Cars that drive themselves - I heard recently that this is already being done somewhere in Europe. Special cars driving on special freeways can navigate themselves. Because they are computerized, cars can travel at high speeds only feet apart, bumper to bumper. If the car in front suddenly needs to stop, the computer knows about it and all the other cars (even miles behind) will slow as well. Pretty neat stuff.
  2. Robots - We've all seen movies or episodes of the Twilight Zone which depict robots as servants. I've seen History and Discovery channel documentaries about robotics and their development. The technology is getting there. Soon we'll all have our own Bicentennial Man in our living room!
  3. Sun-blocking Windshields - Okay this is something I've been thinking about for 12 years now (ever since I started driving). I want to see a window that is "tinted" only where the sun is. This, of course, means that the spot would move depending on where you are in the car. Basically it's a movable tinted 3-inch dot on your windshield and somehow it follows your gaze. Even the person in the driver's seat would see this tinted spot in a different place than you as the driver would see it. Is this making any sense at all?
  4. Matrix-like Information Download - Very cool concept. Just insert the data and you suddenly have the knowledge. Is this truly in our future? Is it even a plausible invention?
  5. Thumb-Scan Money AND Registering - We've all seen people pay for things on futuristic movies by scanning their thumb print. Well when are we going to actually make that a reality? Gone would be the days of check cards. But I'd want more than than. See, I keep my check register to the penny. I'd want the thumb-scan payment method to be instantaneous. The money is literally transfered at that exact moment. That way I don't have to jot down every purchase I make.
Well, that's all for today, but we'll see what the future holds... there may be more in store!

As always, feel free to leave comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What I really want to see is transporters like the ones in Star Trek. I'm not sure I would be the first to try one out, but there are so many times that driving 2 more hours to get home feels like torture - and a handy transporter would feel like such a relief.