Sunday, October 29, 2006

Baby = Human Pet


When Megan and I were just 8 months married, she brought home a cat. Now, I grew up with cats and I love animals of all kinds, but I had never been responsible for one of my own. I had never before been personally responsible for a living being other than myself. I had never had to take care of something that couldn’t survive without me (no offense, Eddy).

Then Eddy came along. All of a sudden I had to feed him, change his water because he would accidentally drop food into it, clean his cat box, love him, and keep constant vigil on him so that he wouldn’t get out of the house when we were coming and going.

Eventually I got used to it. At first I was very nervous but as time went on, I grew to be the cat owner that I am today.

Eddy was great practice for Maddy. People were constantly telling me how much my life would change when she was born. They said that nothing would ever be the same again and what a huge responsibility it was. Now, they weren’t necessarily wrong, but in the end I felt more prepared than I thought I would be.

Like Eddy, I had to care for a living being when Maddy was born. I had similar responsibilities: I had to feed her (well Megan did most of that, but there was an occasional bottle in the mix). I had to clean up her food when she would drop it (puke). I had to clean her cat box (change her diaper). I had to love her (GOT to love her), and I had to keep constant vigil on her at all times.

Granted there is a bit more to caring for a human baby than for a feline, but in retrospect, I really feel that Eddy came into our lives to, at least on some level, prepare us for parenthood.

Moral of the story: Pets are great parental helps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said about Eddy and Maddy. It probably really did help to have an animal first. And by you sharing your counsel will help others in the future.- Collette

Anonymous said...

Cute cat, cute baby, cute pictures of both....and wise observations, Dad!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for some, kids are easier than pets.

Anonymous said...

I (as a movie phanatic) have to refer to a great movie here. 28 Days, with Sandra Bullock, has an amazing moral that really has very little to do with parenting. But there is a reference in there to relationships in general. The characters are told once out of rehab they should get a plant. They should take care of the plant, and after time, when it is thriving to move to the next step: a pet. From there they should take care of the pet, as you and your wife did with Eddy. Love it, feed it, groom it, and as it thrives, grows, and continues to live you are ready to move on to a human relationship.

The reason for this (my opinion here) is that it teaches you the value of other living things. It teaches you the importance of giving of yourself, and carrying for something that needs you to survive. I've never known a relationship that has survived without a good bit of selflessness.

I am glad to see that this advice is true!! :) Now i need to go buy a plant. LOL